The New Atheists are authors of early twenty-first century books promoting atheism. These authors include Sam Harris, Richard Dawkins, Daniel Dennett, and Christopher Hitchens.
1. They exhibit an unusually high level of confidence in their views. An almost complete absence of humility in the presence of creation.
2. Natural science is the final word. Only what can be proven through accepted scientific practice is truth. They draw on science for recommended alternatives to religion. In other words Science is “god” so to speak. Therefore religious belief is irrational.
3. They think that it is possible to live a satisfying non-religious life on the basis of secular morals and scientific discoveries.
The New Atheist approach to religion is generally traced back to the year 2000. Part of the sharp change among these thinkers is the firm convition that New Atheist’s must proactively confront religious belief.
Historically atheist did not feel compelled to attack religious beliefs or defend their own. The school of thought was that: religion is for the weak-minded and for the most part is harmless.
The New atheist are taught that religion is dangerous and must be confronted and ultimately defeated. Considerable resources are being dedicated to eradicating religious thought and at minimum making it expensive to practice. Lawsuits are being launched in many directions attempting to show religious bias in conflict with modern interpretations of the constitution. These lawsuits are intended to make it costly to practice religion especially Christianity.
Mission one for new atheist is Christians. Christianity is at the very top of their list. Each of the authors of the new atheist movement single out Christian beliefs and glaringly ignore Islam, Buddhism, Hinduism and other non-Christian religions. Why?
No other religion is so offensive and confrontational to new atheist as is Christianity. Christianity answers succinctly all four great questions of life that science cannot:
1. The Origin of all life.
2. The Meaning of life
3. The Morality of life (Why good and evil)
4. The destiny of life (Eternity)
Christianity is Soteriological which simply means: Man is sinful and needs a Savior.
Jesus is our Savior and there is NO other. No other way to God but through Jesus alone. All other religions tell man he can improve his position by becoming more valuable to society and more benevolent.
Christianity points out the hopeless state of mankind without a Savior. All have sinned and all need a Savior! Christianity begins with the utter depravity of mankind and the hopelessness of man saving man. Only Jesus can save us from the consequence of sin: eternal death.
Do you know what it means to be a Christian? We must come to Jesus and ask Him to forgive us of all our sins. We must ask Him to be Lord and leader of our life. We must surrender everything we are, everything we think we own and everything we believe we deserve.
Perhaps it is not your intellect at all that keeps you from believing in Jesus. Perhaps it is your “pride”. Pride that demands Jesus bow to your reason and understanding.
As a Christian…
1. I am humbled in the presence of my Savior Jesus and in Awe of His vast creation.
2. I believe the Bible and science are in concert. The Bible proves science and science proves the Bible.
3. It is very possible to live a satisfying non-Christian life on earth on the basis of secular morals and scientific discoveries. You just have to not want much out of life and certainly not aspire to answer the great questions of life: Origin, Meaning, Morality, Destiny.
If you want to explore Christianity further or perhaps have questions about this post reach out to me at: firstname.lastname@example.org
The Grace Place is located at 1500 Royston Lane in Round Rock Texas. Two weekend gatherings: Sat. 6pm and Sun. 10:30am. Feel free to comment on this and other posts here.